» The healthcare industry sector is the #1 employer in Moore County, and within this sector, FirstHealth of the Carolinas is the County’s largest employer. The healthcare industry is very significant to the local economy and contributes to the area’s popularity as a retirement location.
Moore County residents can choose from a variety of easily-accessible, advanced healthcare options from progressive medical and dental facilities. Primary care and specialty physicians, registered nurses, and dentists are plentiful.
>> View Moore County’s 2012 Health Professions Profile.
Important Statistics to Note:
In 2012, there were:
- 299 physicians in Moore County, equivalent to 33.0 physicians per 10,000 residents. North Carolina had 22.3 physicians per 10,000 residents.
- 1,363 nurses (registered, LPNs, Certified Nurse Midwives & Nurse Practitioners) or 150.3 per 10,000 residents (compared to North Carolina at 99.6);
- 60 dentists, or 6.6 per 10,000 residents (compared to North Carolina at 4.5).
- Out of North Carolina’s 100 counties, Moore County ranks 6th in the highest number of physicians, dentists, and registered nurses per 10,000 residents.
» Compare Moore County’s status to the availability of doctors in surrounding counties (2012):
|County||Physicians per 10,000 Residents|
>> See how healthy Moore County is compared to the other 99 counties in North Carolina: 2016 County Health Rankings (County Health Rankings & Roadmap Program)
FIRSTHEALTH OF THE CAROLINAS
FirstHealth of the Carolinas is a premier regional healthcare system including 3 hospitals (611 licensed beds total) that serve 15 counties in central North and South Carolina. FirstHealth’s Moore Regional Hospital in Pinehurst is the flagship hospital and is a private, non-profit acute-care facility with 395 licensed beds. It offers a full range of advanced healthcare services. Over 90% of the medical staff is board certified.
Moore Regional Hospital (MRH) – Excellence At A Glance:
Moore County is fortunate to have one of the leading healthcare systems in the country.
- In Business North Carolina magazine’s March 2017 issue, FirstHealth Moore Regional Hospital is ranked as the 5th best hospital in North Carolina (tied with Caromont Regional Medical Center) and is 2nd in the state for patient satisfaction.
- U.S. News & World Report‘s 2016-2017 “Best Hospitals” report ranked MRH ranked as the 8th best hospital in North Carolina. MRH achieved the highest rating possible in 8 conditions/procedures including heart bypass surgery, colon & lung cancer surgeries, and hip & knee replacements.
- Becker’s Hospital Review ranked MRH as one of America’s 100 Great Community Hospitals in 2016 based on the hospital’s continual quality of care and service to the community.
- Truven Health Analytics ranked MRH as one of the 100 Best Hospitals in the nation for 2016 based on overall performance measured by patient care, operational efficiency, financial stability, and patient perception of care. MRH is the only community hospital in North Carolina recognized in the Top 100 list.
- Truven Health Analytics ranked MRH in the Top 50 Cardiovascular Hospitals in the nation for 2016 based on superior clinical outcomes in cardiovascular care.
- BetterDoctor ranked MRH the 7th best hospital in the nation in 2015 for providing emergency heart attack care.
- U.S. News & World Report‘s 2015-2016 “Best Hospitals” report ranked MRH ranked as the 8th best hospital in North Carolina. MRH was also designated as high-performing in 4 adult specialty care areas including Gastroenterology, Endocrinology, Geriatrics, and Pulmonology. Read the news article.
- In the March 2015 issue of Business North Carolina magazine, FirstHealth Moore Regional Hospital is ranked as the 6th best hospital in North Carolina and is 2nd (tied with Duke University Hospital) in the state for patient satisfaction. Blue Cross Blue Shield of NC, the state’s largest health insurer, has recognized Moore Regional as a cutting-edge hospital in the specialty of cardiac care.
- Cleverley + Associates lists MRH as a Community Value Five-Star® hospital in 2015 which places MRH in the top 20% of all hospitals in North Carolina for providing exceptional value to the community.
- MRH is a Nurse Magnet Hospital recognized by the American Nurses Credentialing Center as meeting high standards in patient care, nursing excellence and innovations in the professional nursing practice.
— From Health Grades, Inc.:
- A ‘Distinguished Hospital Award in Clinical Excellence’ national recipient: 2015, 2016, 2017. Awarded for performance in the top 5% of hospitals nationally for overall clinical excellence and for consistent delivery of comprehensive high-quality care.
- ‘America’s Best 100 Hospitals for Joint Replacement Award’ recipient: 2017.
- ‘Cranial Neurosurgery Excellence Award’ national recipient: 2017.
- ‘Pulmonary Care Excellence Award’ national recipient: 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017.
- ‘Outstanding Patient Experience Award’ national recipient: 2009-2016.
- ‘Critical Care Excellence Award’ national recipient: 2015, 2016.
- ‘Women’s Health Excellence Award’ national recipient: 2015. Recognizes hospitals for superior outcomes in care provided to women.
- ‘America’s Best 100 Hospitals for Cardiac Care Award’ recipient: 2015.
- ‘America’s Best 100 Hospitals for Coronary Intervention Award’ recipient: 2014, 2015.
- ‘Patient Safety Excellence Award’ national recipient: 2004-2008, 2010, 2012.
- Ranked nationally for Excellence in Joint Replacement: 2007-2013.
- Ranked nationally for Excellence in Orthopedic Services: 2005-2012. Hospitals receiving awards in specific care areas, such as Orthopedic Services and Joint Replacement, represent the top 10% of the nation’s full service hospitals in providing consistent, high-quality care.
Award-winning FirstHealth Moore Regional Hospital provides exceptional care. (courtesy of FirstHealth)
Moore Regional Hospital and its affiliated entities also offer a skilled nursing facility, centers for inpatient and outpatient rehabilitation, family care centers, a hospice program, community outreach programs, centers for health and fitness, home care services, and EMS and critical care transport services. An insurance plan through FirstCarolinaCare Insurance Company is also available.
>> For more information on FirstHealth of the Carolinas and Moore Regional Hospital, visit www.firsthealth.org.
Pinehurst Surgical, one the County’s main employers, is located in a 131,135 square-foot, state-of-the art facility in Pinehurst across from Moore Regional Hospital. The professional staff of over 250 and over 40 board certified physicians serve 50,000 patients annually in Moore and surrounding counties.
The exceptional specialty-oriented medical and surgical services include audiology, urology, orthopedics, vascular surgery, facial plastic surgery and obstetrics/gynecology. State-of-the-art diagnostics equipment, laboratories and testing rooms are on-site. >> Visit www.pinehurstsurgical.com for more information.
PINEHURST MEDICAL CLINIC, INC.
With over 70 providers, Pinehurst Medical Clinic provides primary and specialty care services to Moore County and the surrounding 5 county area through several convenient locations. Physician specialties include cardiology, pulmonary, gastroenterology, hematology, internal medicine, oncology, and family medicine. The main Clinic is in close proximity to Moore Regional Hospital and is equipped to perform many onsite tests and procedures. >> Visit www.pinehurstmedical.com for more information.
ST. JOSEPH OF THE PINES
One of the County’s Top 10 largest employers, St. Joseph of the Pines in Southern Pines is a non-profit healthcare system affiliated with CHE Trinity Health. It offers a variety of programs including short-term and long-term skilled nursing care, rehabilitation services, affordable housing for senior adults, and independent and assisted-care retirement living.
>> For more information on St. Joseph and its services, visit www.sjp.org.